Music Review: Kavacham (Telugu)

Composer(s): S. Thaman
Listen to the songs online here: JioSaavn

Yet another ho-hum outing from S. Thaman, riding mostly on boilerplate tunes from his own repertoire that are well frankly past their expiry date. The lone consolation in this mind-numbing exercise of a soundtrack is Dulhara Dulhara, a pleasant-if-pedestrian melody bolstered by Sreenidhi Tirumala's top-notch singing.

P.S.: I know the last two months have been rough for the Indian (film) music industry, what with the #MeToo movement spreading like wildfire after singer Chinmayi became the torchbearer (among others including Sona Mohapatra), boldly shouldering the responsibility of bringing to light many untold stories of sexual harassment faced by men and women in various professional circles. I also know that names of many a singer, whose work I have enjoyed immensely over the years, have cropped up during the wave of #MeToo disclosures, and it certainly makes me confront my job hobby as a reviewer in new light. Should I view the music for what it is, or bemoan the fact these singers continue to get opportunities as if nothing has happened, or turn a blind eye to these accusations? I personally find it very hard to separate the art from the artist, and this will be why I won't be taking their names going forward, unless I absolutely have to.

Comments