Movie Review: Love, Simon (English)

Towards the end of Love, Simon, the title character (a winsome Nick Robinson) proclaims, "I'm done living in a world where I don't get to be who I am. I deserve a great love story." Had this been any other film, it might have sounded a little clichéd, but in a refreshing twist, director Greg Berlanti uses them effectively to tell an upbeat, charming tale of coming out that brims with energy and heart, not to mention stringed together by some of the most infectious pop tunes I have heard in a while (due credit to Bleachers frontman Jack Antonoff). Sure, the saccharine sweet goodness of Love, Simon is no match for Call Me By Your Name or God's Own Country, but the epistolatory love story, despite its manufactured central conflict, does win points for its message of inclusion and positivity. And while coming out and embracing one's sexuality may no longer be a big deal for many a youth today, there is something heartening watching it unfold on the big screen. I left the movie with a big smile and feeling positively light.

Comments