Tech Roundup: Google I/O, Nokia Comeback & More

Is it time to switch back to SMS? My wait for an universal messaging app continues...
Google I/O came and went, and I am frustrated. Not because they didn't announce a new Chromebook Pixel successor, but because they introduced three new social messaging apps Spaces, Allo and Duo all in a span of one week. Let me be clear. No one needs five chat apps on their phone (including Hangouts and Messenger SMS app for Android), let alone all of them from one company, when most users are already juggling between Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, Viber, Telegram, Kik, Skype, WeChat, Vine, Snapchat, iMessage (only on iOS), Slack (if your workplace demands it) and last but not least Twitter. The instant messaging situation is already chaotic, crowded, fragmented and terrible without Google having to introduce new apps, but by making Allo and Duo mobile-only (What were you smoking Google?), the search giant's confused approach seems several steps backwards. Plus frankly, with so many chat apps vying for our attention, I am just not sure I can handle yet another messaging service in my life.

Alphabet/Google:
Amazon:
Apple:
Others:

Comments