Book Review: Humans of New York

Humans of New York
Honestly this book doesn't need a review. I have been following Brandon Stanton's inspiring Tumblr page Humans of New York for quite a while, and this book, based on the famous photo blog, brings alive the vibrant city of New York in a series of stunning photographs that will warm the cockles of your heart. I love the fact that it's deeply personal, and how by photographing "humans" from different walks of life, it conveys a lot about what they are and what they stand for despite them being total strangers to us. It's as if each of those photographs is a story waiting to be told. And I really don't know why, but this one particular anecdote (and its accompanying photo) moved me to bits:

"I never had any family growing up. But I still went to school everyday. One day, when I was in eleventh grade, my English teacher came up to me and said: "If you graduate, I’ll adopt you. I’ll show you the life. You’ll do things you never dreamed of." And he kept his promise. He made it legal and everything. On the day I graduated, he was the only family I had there. My father’s taken me everywhere since then. I’ve done all kinds of things." (Head to the HoNY post here.)

Comments