Heavy Rotation: Adam Torres, Billie Marten, The Tallest Man on Earth & More

Some of my favourite songs from this week... including Adam Torres, Billie Marten, Mitski and Palmistry.

News Are Saying ft. Say Lou Lou (Adam Olenius) - A pleasant-on-the-ears guitary melody, and need I say, breezy?

High Lonesome, Outlands (Adam Torres) - One word. Hypnotic.

La Lune (Billie Marten) - This newest piece of alluring folk music is yet another feather on Billie Marten's cap!

When it Rain (Danny Brown) - Rap for me still remains a genre that I haven't quite warmed up to as yet, but to Danny Brown, I will doff my hat. The speed at which words roll off his mouth, and just listening to it, makes me feel giddy.

Something About You, Just a Lover (Hayden James) - Infectious dance jams that will get you grooving and swaying in no time!

Burning Hill (Mitski) - Mitski's latest offering Puberty 2 blinds you with its thrumming synths and its overall lo-fi ambience, but what strikes close to my heart is the moody curtain closer Burning Hill. It has an almost elegiac quality to it, a sense of weary resignation, about how she has been left consumed and barren as she sings "I'm tired of wanting more/ I think I'm finally worn." My only complaint? It's less than two minutes long! What a crying shame!

L After L, Sweetness, Beamer, Paigon (Palmistry) - Palmistry's subtly lush Pagan is one heck of a blur, the songs seamlessly transitioning from one to the next, all the while retaining their minimalist but twinkling synth-driven sonic arrangements, and at times amorphous insofar that they become virtually indistinguishable from one other. But Benjy Keating's frugal, sparingly concocted soundscape lets his soft, whispery voice do all the talking. Plus it also helps that he sings them so damn well, at times so cloyingly sweet, that I might overdose on its sweetness.

Work ft. Drake (Indian Dance Remix) (Rihanna) - RiRi's Caribbean-themed slow banger gets an Indian makeover, and I must say, the tabla and dancehall fusion totally works.

Time of the Blue (The Tallest Man on Earth) - Swedish folk musician Kristian Matsson stands tall with an absolutely gorgeous acoustic offering, and those guitars!

West Seattle (CC Mose), Colours (The Avalanches) - Just the kind of woozy, psychedelic music I love!

Comments