Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault
in Our Stars
After hearing so much about this book, I am now left a bit disappointed as I turn over the last page and put it down. To think about it, two cancer-ridden teenagers finding love and hope amid hopeless situations, and 'bravely', and if I may add, even maturely coping with the inevitable sword of Damocles that hangs over them, is all well-intentioned no doubt. But what I am unable to get over is how emotionally manipulative the story pans out by preaching life lessons through a kid dying of cancer.

And the leads come across as too worldly wise and intelligent, more than their parents, in going about with their 'faulty' lives. It's refreshing in a sense, yet it's too perfect and far removed from reality. Furthermore, while I agree that there is always scope for mirth and fun in everyone's life, irrespective of any anything, cracking jokes at the expense of one's illness or their disability, again if well-intentioned, isn't strictly my type or is something that I can relate with. This is where the author's attempts to create humor out of their tragedy falls flat.

Comments